Downtown Development Director
The Borough is accepting letters of application and resumes for the position of Downtown Development Director. Responsibilities include coordinating ongoing revitalization activities utilizing the Main Street Approach. Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as team-building skills are essential. Business experience and the ability to balance multiple projects is a must. The Downtown Development Director reports to the Borough Manager, Borough Council and the community at large. Base salary begins at $50,000 with benefits. Questions regarding the position can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a cover letter and resume, naming three references including phone number and email address to Mrs. Diane Hegele, Borough Manager, Borough of Hatboro, 414 S. York Road, Hatboro, PA 19040 by September 28th, 2018. The Borough is an EOE.
The Downtown Development Director coordinates activities within the business district of Hatboro with the primary goal of bringing positive economic development to the downtown district. As success breeds success, the Borough of Hatboro business community reaps significant benefit from the Program. The Director reports to the Borough Manager and is responsible for the development, conduct, execution and documentation of the Main Street Program. The Downtown Development Director is the principal on-site staff person responsible for coordination of all local program activities. The Director represents the program in coordination with Borough, County, and State development initiatives.The Downtown Development Director coordinates activities within the business district of Hatboro with the primary goal of bringing positive economic development to the downtown district. As success breeds success, the Borough of Hatboro business community reaps significant benefit from the Program. The Director reports to the Borough Manager and is responsible for the development, conduct, execution and documentation of the Main Street Program. The Downtown Development Director is the principal on-site staff person responsible for coordination of all local program activities. The Director represents the program in coordination with Borough, County, and State development initiatives.
Manage, maintain, and monitor all administrative aspects of the Main Street Program, including but not limited to:
- Planning and executing special events.
- Serving as a resource for entrepreneurship and small business development.
- Assisting with the preparation and creation of a BID – Business Improvement District for Hatboro.
- Managing other programs as requested by Borough Manager or Borough Council.
- Manage and execute grant programs at the State and Federal level, will assist Borough Manager with grant writing as needed.
- Assist with planning and development of new programs and initiatives that further the mission of the Borough of Hatboro Main Street program.
- Assist Main Street Hatboro in fundraising activities.
- Record keeping and report submission to Pennsylvania Downtown Center.
- Attend ongoing Main Street training through the Pennsylvania Downtown Center.
- Any other Main Street related tasks as per the Borough Manager.
- Develop, in conjunction with the Borough Council and Main Street Hatboro, strategies for downtown economic development utilizing the community’s human and economic resources. Assist in creating and implementing an annual action plan for downtown revitalization focused on key areas: design, preservation, promotion, organization/management, economic restructuring/development, and environment/clean, safe, green. Communicate the annual action plan to each.
- Program Awareness: Develop public awareness activities that promote local Main Street businesses and foster a greater understanding of the Program’s goals and objectives. Design and implement a plan that keeps the Program visible in the community.
- Coordination of Common Needs: Encourage the Main Street business community to undertake joint activities such as promotional events, advertising, uniform store hours, special events, business recruitment, parking management, etc. Provide information on downtown management to provide a cooperative climate between downtown interests and local public officials.
- Connection between Organizations: Act as a liaison between Hatboro’s business and civic organizations, Greater Hatboro Chamber of Commerce, and other stakeholders regarding Program activities and goals. Assist in the coordination of joint promotional events, such as seasonal festivals or cooperative retail promotional events that improve the quality and success of activities that attract people to downtown. Work closely with local media to ensure maximum event coverage. Encourage design excellence in all aspects of promotion to advance an image of quality for the program and the downtown.
- County, State, National Organizations: Help build strong and productive relationships with appropriate public agencies at the local, county, state, and national levels. Speak effectively on the Program’s direction and findings, always mindful of the need to improve state and national economic development policies as they relate to smaller communities.
- Documentation of Program Activity: Utilizing the Main Street program format, develop and maintain a system to track the process and progress of Hatboro’s Main Street Program. This system should include economic monitoring, individual building files, thorough photographic documentation of all physical changes and information on job creation and business retention.
- Communication with Borough Manager, Borough Council and Main Street Board of Directors, attend monthly meetings with Main Street, assure that goals are being met.
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Community and Economic Development, Business Administration, or related fields. Master’s degree or professional experience a plus.
- Candidate should be energetic, self-motivated, and organized with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Desired computer skills include proficiency in MS Office applications, as well as working knowledge of basic graphic design programs and online communication tools, such as e-newsletter programs and social media platforms
- The ideal candidate will possess a commitment to non-profit community revitalization. Additional knowledge and skills including leadership, interpersonal, administrative, communication, and grant writing, as well as a broad understanding of public policy and business development
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The on-site work location is Hatboro Borough Hall, 414 S. York Road, Hatboro, PA 19040. The off-site work will be in the community, predominately within the business district and may require walking or standing for extended periods of time. There may be occasional out-of-town or overnight travel for training. Some evening and weekend hours required for special events or Borough meetings. The employee must have a valid driver license and must be able to successfully pass a thorough background check.