The Media Business Authority is seeking an Executive Director who understands the importance of community relationships while also possessing organizational skills, entrepreneurial energy, flexibility, and imagination to further the positive downtown environment in Media PA.
The position can accommodate flexible scheduling needs and affords opportunities to collaborate with other influential community leaders and public officials on broad-based community initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and strong business acumen to attract and retain business to the downtown. The individual may come from small business, commercial corridor work, a non-profit organization, or management in a larger business, but must be capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director manages all day-to-day organization operations, leads and coordinates efforts to support retail and business attraction and retention, planned real estate development, manage the downtown retail/restaurants and business relationships, and promotes downtown Media as a regional destination.
THE DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR INCLUDE:
- Identify, cultivate and recruit new businesses and investors, and support existing businesses in downtown Media.
- Coordinate activities of organization including Board and volunteer committees, ensure good communications between and among committees and the Board, and assist committees in implementing their work plans.
- Shape, manage and drive all traditional communications, website, social media, and print media for the organization.
- Build strong and productive working relationships with the Borough leadership, regional public sector, other non-profits, local developers, property owners and merchants, in the downtown.
- Communicate, build relationships and provide high level of customer service for Downtown Media businesses, constituents and guests
- Research, identify, secure, and manage funding; including grants, loans or other incentives from private and regional and state agencies for operations support and special projects.
- Develop and implement an annual budget and fund-raising strategy.
- Develop and implement a new membership structure for the MBA.
- Develop and implement a new volunteer initiative to support the MBA with public events and activities.
- Manage all day-to-day administration of the MBA, including oversight of staff (full and part time), and a rigorous schedule of events.
- Manage regular communication with the Borough Council, through regular reporting and participation as required at meetings.
- Plan for and execute the necessary steps to securing designation as a PA Designation Main Street as a means to qualify for funding.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision, strategic plan and programs to guide and grow the organization through a realignment process.
- Enhance the Organization's image by being active and visible in the community, working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Effective use of social media platforms to increase public awareness of, knowledge about and marketing of MBA and Media overall.
RECOMMENDED SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developing and executing business attraction and retention plans.
- Knowledge and direct practical fundraising and grant writing experience.
- Knowledge of event planning and management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; public speaking experience is desirable.
- Proven marketing skills and experience, including social media.
- Knowledge of basic and standard office and accounting software packages.
MINIMUM OF THREE TO FIVE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN:
- Business, marketing, or real estate.
- Commercial corridors, Business Improvement Districts, Main Street programs or similar neighborhood commercial districts.
- Administration in a management capacity, or non-profit board membership.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting, record-keeping procedures and state and federal reporting requirements for 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations is preferred.
- Direct experience working with and negotiating with vendors; businesses and investors; and communication with public agencies and foundations.
- Direct experience with Pennsylvania Main Street and downtown improvement programs and other successful business development strategies, previous experience as a Corridor Manager in a similar urban area is a significant plus.
- Demonstrated experience and aptitude for building and managing a diverse stakeholder community in support of the organization's mission.
- Bachelor's degree required; graduate work in a relevant field is preferred.
Salary: Please present your salary requirements
- Outreach and meetings with prospects
- New leads and leases
- Media placements – editorial placements (print, tv etc.).
- Outreach and meetings with current businesses
- Number of new members of the MBA (and volunteers)
- Attendance at special events (Dining under the stars, Fall events, etc.)
- Participation and attendance at MBA meetings (number and type of participants)
- Money brought into the MBA (sponsorship, member fees, general fundraising $$$)
- Programs and services for MBA members and downtown businesses
- New initiatives for downtown, the MBA
Interested applicants email their resume to MBAExecDir@gmail.com