The Executive Director of Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. (OMI), a 501 (c) 3 non-profit, economic and community development program, is responsible for creating and managing programs and projects that continually promote quality civic, economic, commercial and cultural development of Oxford Pennsylvania, with a strong focus on the Business Improvement District (BID) through concentrated efforts in economic development, organization, design and promotion. Oxford Borough is a rural urban center in Chester County, located in the southeastern corner of Pennsylvania. The borough possess a vibrant Business District surrounded by a National Historic District of residential neighborhoods. It has a population of approximately 5,400 people, 96+ businesses in the BID, a thriving events calendar, and a variety of art and cultural assets.
- Financial Development/Fundraising
- Program and event management
- Building relational equity with borough council, merchants and supporters
- Implementing the business plan of the Shoebox Theater and Oxford Theater revitalization vision
Job Knowledge and Skills Required
Successful candidates will possess strong written and oral communication, project management, and organizational skills with experience in or a strong understanding of several or all the following areas: small business development/recruitment, public relations, economic development, volunteer management, fundraising, or non-profit management. Experience in historic preservation, marketing, grant writing and event planning is a plus. The Director must be well-organized, energetic, self-motivated, entrepreneurial and be able to work well with a diverse group of borough/county/state leaders, businesses, volunteers and community groups. Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent 5+ years’ experience preferred.
Range of Duties
- Pursue increasing expertise in implementation of the Main Street ™ model of downtown revitalization.
- Coordinate activity of the program by establishing and maintaining open lines of communication with committees, assisting with creation and implementation of work plans, providing ongoing volunteer support and attending committee and Borough meetings.
- Develop and maintain a strong Main Street organizational structure for sustainable economic development efforts, with a focus on ensuring that all organizational resources (partners, funding, volunteers, etc.) are mobilized effectively.
- Oversee Shoebox Theatre operations including staff and volunteers.
- Assist with implementation of a plan to recruit, manage and recognize volunteers including members of the various committees, as well as short-term volunteers.
- Develop and conduct ongoing public awareness of OMI’s activities by developing strong working relationships with state/county/local officials and agencies, community groups, local business and property owners, community stakeholders and press contacts. Foster public and business community understanding of OMI’s mission and goals, keeping the program positively in the public eye and maintaining a cooperative relationship with the media.
- Assist Board of Directors and committees with fundraising activities, including developing and expanding funding sources and preparing grant applications.
- Manage administrative aspects of the program with staff, bookkeeper and board treasurer: record-keeping and accounting, budget development, grant administration, purchasing, preparing and filing reports, collection of key statistics.
- Coordinate maintenance of the OMI-leased office.
- Serve as an advocate for downtown and economic development issues at local/state/county levels through familiarity with, and understanding of, local concerns and issues; speak effectively on OMI’s goals, issues and results; and work to improve public policy relating to the downtown and surrounding area.
- Serve as a liaison with the Borough of Oxford on downtown projects, economic development initiatives and other activities that advance the goals of OMI and the Borough.
- Direct business retention, expansion and recruitment efforts by providing information, expertise and referrals to business owners; market Downtown Oxford as a strong town center for a thriving rural community; work with building owners to enhance the quality of retail and commercial space, coordinate business improvement trainings; oversee incentive program to encourage investment in the downtown.
- Participate in training opportunities as a means of engaging in ongoing professional development and networking and to promote professional effectiveness. Effectively transfer that information to volunteers of the program through training and to successfully transform ideas into OMI activities and projects.
$45,000-$55,000 annual salary, based on qualifications. Benefits include monthly health insurance contribution, paid vacation and holidays, sick leave, and flex time.
This is a full-time position. Hours will include nights and weekends as necessary for meetings and program events, with the ability for flex time.
Please send resume, cover letter, specific examples of organizational leadership, fundraising/program implementation and accomplishments, and three (3) references electronically (preferred method) to director@OxfordMainstreet.com, with subject line to read EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR APPLICANT.
Alternatively, materials may be sent by mail to: Executive Director Search, Oxford Mainstreet, Inc., PO Box 315, Oxford, PA 19363
Questions about the position should be in writing and submitted electronically to: director@OxfordMainstreet.com. No calls to OMI will be accepted.
Submissions preferred by noon April 30, 2020, though position will remain open until qualified candidate is secured. AA/EOE.Download Job Description