Organization and Program Description
KCDSC is a social services and community development corporation that has served Philadelphia’s Olney neighborhood since 1984. Its community economic development program, is the North 5th Street Revitalization Project (N5SRP). The community development project enhances the quality of life for the merchants and residents in and around Olney’s North 5th Street commercial district by 1) improving and maintaining the streetscape; 2) increasing public safety; 3) supporting existing small businesses and attracting new, viable economic uses; and 4) fostering community connections.
This is a full-time position, funded primarily through the Commerce Department Targeted Corridor Management Program grant. The Corridor Manager works in concert with the Director to implement the work of the N5SRP. N5SRP will draw from the principles and practices of the Main Street Four Point Approach™ as well as contract guidelines of the Commerce Department’s Targeted Corridor Management Program to foster the goals of neighborhood and commercial corridor revitalization, growth and vitality on North 5th Street in Olney.
Specific duties for the Corridor Manager:
- Coordinate activities of the N5SRP volunteer driven projects, ensuring effective communication between and among teams, N5SRP staff and the Advisory Board.
- Recruit, manage and train volunteers to work on projects
- Coordinate with Director and identify, write and manage grants, loans or other incentives to City and State agencies for operating support and special projects with the advice of the Advisory Board
- Develop and maintain data systems to track the process and progress of the commercial corridor
- Provide technical assistance to merchants and refer merchants and property owners to resources provided by city government and other organizations, including Kiva Zip, Instore, and Storefront Improvement and Safe Cam programs
- Moderate and manage the program’s social media program including list serve, Facebook page, Constant Contact e-newsletter, web site, blogs, Twitter, list serve, media lists etc. Write materials for traditional and new media sources as needed
- Assist with preparing quarterly and annual reports
- Work with local Police to reduce crime and the perception of crime around the corridor
- Promote and coordinate community meetings, events, and activities
- Attend training and professional peer learning events several times a year (all costs paid by N5SRP)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas: business administration, nonprofit management, economic development, marketing, urban design, journalism, city planning, historic preservation, and event planning, communications, and community development. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in any of the above or related fields is preferred. Volunteer/intern work experience will be considered in lieu of paid work experience.
Skills and experience required for this position include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent project management and implementation skills, time management, and organizational skills, including attention to detail and abilities to prioritize assignments, identify sub-tasks and keep multiple assignments moving simultaneously
- Demonstrated experience working with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) publishing software, Constant Contact, Twitter, Facebook, and photo management software
- Valid driver’s license
- Proven experience in recruiting and managing volunteers
- Ability to perform manual labor under all types of weather conditions
- Ability to work well with the public and with diverse groups of people including limited English proficiency speakers.
The following skills and experience are especially desirable:
- Experience in public speaking, group facilitation, public relations and fundraising
- Small businesses or entrepreneurial experience
- Fluency in Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, French or Spanish language skills.
The position entails working 40 hours per week. The hours will be irregular because of night meetings and weekend events.
The position will be compensated $38,00 - $41,000 per annum with health benefits and no overtime compensation. The position will receive 10 days (80 hours) paid vacation; 5 days (40 hours) paid sick leave; and all federal holidays off.
The Korean Community Development Services Center is an Equal Opportunity employer who does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, national origin, sexual preference, age, religion or handicap.
Candidates are encouraged to submit applications early. We hope to move quickly in filling this position. If the role sounds like an exciting next step in your career, and your skills and background would be valuable to our team, we want to meet you.
Send the following materials to Stephanie Michel, Director, North 5th Street Revitalization Project:
- Cover letter
- A writing sample of no more than 5 pages
- List of 3 professional references with name, email and phone neighbor
Create one document with all the materials together as a PDF document and send to Stephanie Michel at Stephanie@shopnorth5th.com by September 8, 2017. Please do not call us, we will contact only the candidates that we plan to interview.N5SRP Corridor Manager Job Description