Non-Profit Community Development Executive Director
The East Falls Development Corporation (EFDC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia, PA dedicated to the smart growth of East Falls. Our main work is in the East Falls Riverfront Business District and Conrad Street commercial corridor. We support local businesses and institutions to help with continued positive and community-based economic development in the East Falls community.
The Board of Directors relies on the Executive Director (ED) as the only full-time employee. EFDC is financially sound and benefits from a vibrant core of active volunteer business and community leaders. The ED staffs the numerous volunteer committees, including the following: design, events, economic development, governance and budget/finance. The full Board meets monthly, and the committees meet regularly. The Executive Committee is comprised of the Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer and Secretary. The Board is made up of approximately 25 members from a diverse group of community members and institutional representatives.
Job Description - Executive Director
EFDC is seeking an Executive Director who understands the importance of community relationships while also possessing organizational skills, entrepreneurial energy, flexibility, and imagination to further the positive economic development in East Falls.
The position can accommodate flexible scheduling needs and affords opportunities to collaborate with other influential community leaders and public officials on broad-based city initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and strong business acumen to attract and retain business to the commercial corridor. The individual may come from small business, commercial corridor work, a non-profit organization, or management in a larger business, but must be capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director manages all day-to-day organization operations, leads and coordinates efforts to plan real estate development, manages the commercial corridors and business relationships, and promotes the East Falls district as a regional destination.
The Duties of the Executive Director include:
- Identify, cultivate and recruit new businesses and investors, and support existing businesses in the East Falls commercial corridors.
- Coordinate activities of EFDC volunteer committees, ensure good communications between and among committees and the Board, and assist committees in implementing their work plans.
- Shape, manage and drive all traditional communications, website, social media, and print media for the organization.
- Build strong and productive working relationships with public agencies, other non-profits, local developers, property owners and merchants, and other commercial corridors in the City.
- Research, identify, secure, and manage funding; including grants, loans or other incentives from private and city and state agencies for operations support and special projects.
- Develop and implement an annual budget and fund-raising plan.
- Manage all day-to-day administration of the EFDC organization including the EFDC-owned office building with two residential tenants.
- Plan for and execute the necessary steps to creating a Business Improvement District (BID) in the East Falls corridor.
- Operate, manage and maintain EFDC parking lot, small apartment building, organization office, and outdoor properties.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision, strategic plan and programs to guide and grow the organization.
- Enhance the Organization's image by being active and visible in the community, working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Effective use of social media platforms to increase public awareness of, knowledge about and marketing of EFDC.
Recommended Skills, Education and Experience:
- Knowledge and direct practical fundraising and grant writing experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; public speaking experience is desirable.
- Proven marketing skills and experience, including social media.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and standard office software packages.
Minimum of three to five years of experience in:
- Business, marketing, or real estate.
- Commercial corridors, Business Improvement Districts, Main Street programs or similar neighborhood commercial districts.
- Administration in a management capacity, or non-profit board membership.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting, record-keeping procedures and state and federal reporting requirements for 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations is preferred.
- Direct experience working with and negotiating with vendors; insurance carriers; and communication with public agencies, especially local municipal agencies within the City of Philadelphia.
- Direct experience with City of Philadelphia business improvement programs and other successful business development strategies, previous experience as a Corridor Manager in a similar urban area is a significant plus.
- Demonstrated experience and aptitude for building and managing a diverse stakeholder community in support of the organization's mission.
- Bachelor's degree required; graduate work in a relevant field is preferred.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Interested Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by January 18, 2019.
Address to Search Committee and send to EFDCsearch@gmail.com.
Send the resume and cover letter as an attachment. Cover letter must include an answer to the question: "Tell us your favorite thing about East Falls."
The EFDC expects to hire an Executive Director by March 31, 2019.
The EFDC is an equal opportunity employer.EFDC Executive Director Job Description