Creation of Historic District Design Guidelines
This work will consist of:
Development of Design Guidelines for the newly-designated Historic Commercial District (HCD) of the City of Washington that will include the following:
Develop Design Guidelines using the latest historic preservation technical information, current guidelines from the State of PA Historic Preservation Office, and Secretary of Interior Historic Preservation Standards and Guidelines. Include suggestions for infill development and language for use of new materials and technologies compatible with the preservation goals of the City. Standards should be clear so as to minimize the chance of different interpretations. Provide architectural diagrams and visual aids as examples. Arrange the guidelines in a useable manner, for example, numbered lines and sections for reference. Propose guidelines that are responsive to public input from 2 public meetings (arrangements for public meetings are not in this scope of work).
The consultant hired must meet the following qualifications:
- Academic and/or professional certification in the fields of preservation planning, community or urban planning (as defined by the National Park Service under 36 CFR 61); and
- Have developed or implemented design guidelines in the past and submit examples.
- Ability to complete Historic District Design Guidelines by September 30, 2021.
Expressions of Interest
Firms or individuals interested in submitting a bid on the project should submit the following to:
Washington Business District Authority
273 South Main Street
Washington, PA 15301
- Cost Quote
- Letter of interest and plan of action
- Resume or Vita; and
- Descriptions of completed similar projects.
The WBDA will review all proposals and select a consultant for the project based on:
- Comparison of action plans
- Experience with similar projects; and
- Proven ability to complete a project in a timely manner.
Bids are to be received no later than May 7, 2021. A selection will be made within two (2) weeks and a contract with the consultant will be signed by May 26, 2021.
The consultant will be reimbursed for services rendered and will not be reimbursed for travel or other expenses. The consultant will be paid in three increments: the first two increments tied to the satisfactory completion of specific stages of the project's progress; the balance to be paid after the final product has been received by the Commission and approved by the State Historic Preservation Office.
Please submit any questions you may have regarding this request to Sarah Collier, WBDA Executive Director, by e-mail, email@example.com by no later than April 23, 2021. All questions will be answered by April 28, 2021.