Balance Bike Boot Camp 2024
Announcing BALANCE BIKE BOOT CAMP 2024 — a training opportunity for early childhood educators, childcare providers, public health organizers, and physical activity promoters!
WalkWorks is coordinating the Kids’ Arena at the 2024 Philly Bike Expo, a bicycle industry trade show, on Saturday and Sunday, March 16 and 17, at the Philadelphia Convention Center. The Kids’ Arena invites kids from 2 to 10 to come out and learn about cycling and road safety and enjoy themselves on a challenge course with balance bikes and it will afford adults an opportunity to learn about how best to support kids in learning to ride using balance bikes and adaptive options.
The kids’ activity is pure fun (even the learning about road safety part!) and doesn’t require any preparation. The adult activity is what we are calling Balance Bike Boot Camp. Those interested in helping out will need to sign up in advance and do some interactive online prep.
The Expo runs from 10 to 5 on Saturday and 10 to 4 on Sunday. WalkWorks is seeking volunteers who are involved in childcare, early childhood education, public health, physical activity promotion, and related fields who would like hands-on training in working with kids with balance bikes. Volunteers are asked to sign up for at least one 2-hour shift at the Expo in mid-March. In addition to other perks, like free admission to the Expo, they will be offered online training sessions in advance of the Expo weekend and follow-up with WalkWorks to review the best ways they can incorporate balance bikes into the programs and communities they work in (see below for more about the direct benefits).
No experience with or expertise in cycling is required! The activity does require the ability to stand, walk, manipulate simple quick release levers, and bend down or squat in order to talk to young children. It does not involve bending over and running along behind holding kids up on bikes. The kids do the running and the holding up of the bikes themselves!
Sign up to participate at http://bit.ly/BBBCsignup2024 or use the QR.
Read on for more information and links to background resources:
So you can learn how to:
- incorporate balance bikes into daycare, school, camp, comunity center, and library settings
- introduce kids to balance bikes and adaptive options
- support kids as they learn about road safety and develop skills
What’s in it for you?
- An advance online intro to balance bikes and kids’ cycling education in late February
- Free admission to the Philly Bike Expo on the day that you volunteer (a $25 value)
- 5 passes to offer any of your income-limited charges (and a caregiver) to visit the Expo and enjoy the Kids’ Arena
- Hands-on experience working with kids and balance bikes alongside experienced instructors
- Follow-up with WalkWorks to review ways to incorporate balance bikes into your program
- Assistance with acquiring balance bikes and related gear (helmets, ramps, cones)
- Support in identifying community partners, sites, and funding options for local Traffic Gardens
Note: transportation and lodging are not provided.